There is something in the air around here. Beyond the smell of dogs and dirty socks.
It is change. And lots of it. My husband and I are in the midst of some big changes that are happening seemingly simultaneously. Some changes have come on slowly and steadily. Others have pounced on us unexpectedly. But right now it feels like much of what I deem to be my solid ground here on earth is churning with change.
Forgive me while I spill.
– Finally, after bringing Tallula home, we feel like we are done growing our family. Yay! Because P.S. Our house is FULL. But instead of feeling like it is time to relax and sit back – which I’m beginning to realize is never going to happen this side of heaven – God is whispering to me about a new thing, now that adding to our family through adoption is not going to be taking up a plethora of my time, energy and brain matter. And although I know it’s God whispering, He hasn’t shared all the details. What I do know is that He wants me to do something with photography, which y’all might have suspected since I’ve been posting a lot more about that here. But exactly what involving photography, I just don’t know.
Some days I feel impatient.
– My dashing husband, who has served in the military for over 20 years, is retiring. And the really crazy part is that he has no idea what he wants to do. We’ve spent the last 12 years walking with the Lord and, ever so gently, He has taught us to surrender our will and to trust His instead. So Chris’ desire for his job is simply to be obedient to God. Except, we’re not quite sure what that is quite yet. So, right now we don’t know what Chris will do for a job. Or where we’ll live. Or what our immediate future looks like. But for now we trust. And we wait. And for now, I’m okay with that.
Some days I feel peaceful.
– In the wake of Chris’ impending retirement, I have felt like it’s time for me to consider working, too. As in a job that generates income. Ack. The whole idea is crazy (and oh-so-scary) because it would have to be a job hand-picked by Him just for me because I am, ahem… a unique sort of person. Not many skills, not a whole lot of time, and not crazy about leaving my house. But determination galore.
Some days I feel terrified.
– We have joined our church locally and, for the first time, are truly excited about getting involved in a real way. We are certain He has something for us to do here in our community. If you know us, this is way out of our comfort zones (especially mine, since I am a ridiculous homebody) but I know that to display the love of Jesus more fully in my life, I need to follow where He leads. And the cool part is that I’m actually looking forward to it. Additionally, I now find myself praying for a mentor, a woman who can help guide me in loving my husband, my family, my community and my Lord well.
Some days I feel hopeful.
– And I’ve been thinking about some changes I want to make around here, as well. I want to spend more time writing what is on my heart and less time worrying about what others might think of me. I want to spend more time pondering the greatness of God and less time contemplating a new wardrobe. And I want to focus on my God-given obligations instead of those I’ve created for myself. And I want to be more QUIET.
Some days I feel carried.
– So, in the coming days and weeks you might notice some changes around here. And I might post a bit less than usual. Or I might not. But I just wanted to fill y’all in on what is going on in this new, scary and wonderful season of our lives. Because I really do love ya. And, as always, prayers for our family are appreciated.
I’d also be honored to pray for any of y’all who need prayers. If you’d like prayers, please email me (linked in the right sidebar) and let me know how I can pray for you. I have been so very blessed by y’all… your words of encouragement, your sweet comments, your hilarious remarks and your prayers for our family have made my day many, many times over.
And today I feel grateful.
But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness,
and all these things shall be added to you.
~ Matthew 6:33