Y’all ready? Because here we go…
(Trying to summarize it all right here in one post. If it seems like a repeat, it’s not. Lots of good stuff – please read to the end.)
We are in the process of bringing home a precious baby from China. Her name is Clementine, she has Down syndrome, and she is as sweet as she can be.
Our dossier was logged in to China on August 28th and – if current timeframes hold steady – we could expect to travel for her in late winter.
But Clementine has been sick. She has struggled with pneumonia and asthma. And, just recently, was taken to Beijing for heart surgery. We have asked that our paperwork be expedited due to the seriousness of her health issues.
We don’t necessarily expect that our dossier will be expedited, but since we have requested it, and with her recent additional heart issues, we want to be sure we are ready, just in case.
So we are going all out on this. A few weeks ago we released the Found heart tee to an outrageous response. Seriously, it was crazy. We had nervously ordered 300 shirts, expecting to have some left over, but received orders for close to 600. We ran out of most sizes within the first few days. And amazingly, to date, have raised almost 1/2 of the funds we need to bring our girl home.
So a re-order of the Found heart t-shirt is happening. We are still offering this shirt, and will continue to until the Found portion of our fundraiser is over, on September 13th… we want everyone to have plenty of time to donate, get their order in, and encourage others to join in this effort to bring sweet Clementine home.
*these pictures are mock ups meant to resemble, as close as possible, the final result – expect some slight variations as art on the screen translates differently to a t-shirt
When we were just in the planning phase of this fundraiser, we felt led by the Lord to offer these t-shirts as a gift for any donation, even if it meant we were technically losing money in the process. Because we wanted to be sure that everyone who wanted to could be a part of bringing Clementine home, not only those who could afford a specific monetary donation.
Now, two weeks in and 1/2 way to our goal, with the realization of our daughter’s heart issues and knowing how potentially fragile our girl is, we are ready to get her home. And our hope is that we can raise the funds for all our remaining adoption expenses through this Found campaign.
Sounds crazy, doesn’t it? I completely agree. But all we can do is try our best and trust the Lord with the outcome. No matter what.
So we are going all out. We are going to call, email and, if necessary, send carrier pigeons to everyone we know. We’re going to urge you to participate and help us spread the word as well. If you’re not interested in joining us, no worries, feel free to hit that red X. But if the Lord pricks your heart, you want an awesome t-shirt, or something in between, we truly hope you’ll join in.
And even beyond donating, we hope you’ll share. Tell your friends. Share this post on FB. Donate for an extra t-shirt to give to a friend or loved one (Christmas is just around the corner. Not really.) But really? These shirts are beautiful. Super-soft. High-quality. Definitely not your old Y-soccer-camp tee that can stand up in the corner on it’s own.
These shirts could be considered identical to the shirts we created and sold at Wild Olive for $25. We have invested a crazy amount of effort, time and money into making these as lovely to put on as they are to look at. And each time you wear one you’ll be sharing with the world a deep and powerful truth: as believers in Christ, we have been found.
And now we have a new design to add to the mix.
When we set out to create a design for guys we wanted it to, like the Found heart design, reflect the idea of earthly adoption and eternal adoption. But we wanted it to span even more of the globe than the China map we used for the Found heart tee. So a world map it would be. (Thank you to David Rumsey for allowing us to use his beautiful map images to create these designs.)
And we wanted it to be designed for guys, yes… but girls, too. Because there are plenty of girls out there who have been adopted, but not necessarily from China.
We also wanted it to be for moms and dads. And aunts and uncles. And friends and neighbors and…
well, you get the picture. This new design – the Found world tee – is for anyone.
Think of all the people in your life you could bless with one of these. Including yourself.
And a second version that is just colored. Lots of super-fun, beautiful colors, in fact. And like the heart Found design, both have Luke 19:10 on the back.
This world map design could be for a guy or a girl.
So, are you ready to join in?
Or maybe you still have a question. I’d like to quickly address a few frequently asked questions here, hopefully to clarify for everyone.
1. How much is appropriate to donate? We have purposefully not set a dollar amount to donate to get a Found tee because we don’t want money to keep anyone from participating. Of course, we still have to purchase the shirts, wrap them up and purchase postage to send them out and all of that does cost money. So, if you’re asking, a donation of $15-$20 per shirt keeps us in the green, if you know what I mean.
2. Can I get more than one Found shirt? Absolutely. We would love it, in fact – the more the better. And that’s for several reasons. First, we’d love for you to not only get one for yourself, but we’d love for your kids to have one, your spouse, your friends, and your neighbors. Because adoption is a really cool thing, and this t-shirt is a surprisingly fun way to start a conversation about just that. Also, the more you order, the more I’ll order, and the lower our price is per shirt. And more tees at lower cost = more funds to bring Clementine home. So the more the merrier! Please just keep in mind our costs when requesting additional tees – we ask that for each additional tee, you make an additional donation of $15 or more.
3. What is the last day to donate and still get a Found shirt? The last day is Saturday, September 13th at noon. I say noon because I’ll need a little time to contact anyone that has donated but not complete the form.
4. What if I want to donate but don’t want a t-shirt? No problem! Just make your donation and then complete the form with your name only.
5. What if you run out of Found shirts? We won’t. That’s the beauty of doing it this way – we’ll order every shirt that’s ordered. And, even though I’ve told him y’all are crazy, our printer is confident that he can print as many as y’all order.
6. How do I participate? Great question. It’s really very easy, but since it’s been a little tricky for a few, we’re switching it up a bit, hoping to make it even easier.
1. Complete the short form here with your name, donation amount, mailing address and design and size Found tee(s) you’d like. It even has sizing charts included to make it as easy as possible. Because easy = good.
2. Go over to our You Caring page to make your donation.
3. Share, tweet, text and email to help us spread the word about this seriously fun fundraiser. (This one is optional, of course.) To everyone who has already shared, thank you. I’d squeeze your neck if I could. If you haven’t yet, would you? Pretty please?
Because this is fun. It’s good for your heart. And, honestly, it’s an amazingly beautiful thing. The body of believers joining together to care for the least of these is an extraordinary thing to witness.
Even my girls have been caught up in the joy of it all and have been furiously crafting pictures to include with each t-shirt package. I had to buy more markers for them, no joke. So when you open your package from us it’ll be more than your Found tee. Maybe it will include a card from Lula? or Sophie? or Pop? Who knows?
But the best part will be that you went from bystander to participant, you got off the sidelines and into the fray. You made a sacrifice, gave of yourself, to help love a little one home.
A tiny reflection of the One who came down, and entered the fray, for us.
“The Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost.” Luke 19:10