How’s it going?
I really do want to hear from y’all who are also fasting… I was thrilled when several of y’all commented that you’d be fasting as well. So please, comment below, email me or send a carrier pigeon my way, but fill me in on all the deets!
Us? We’re hanging in there. I gotta admit, last week was tough. I am going to spare you all the gory details, but let me just say… I knew I was nearing rock bottom when my husband’s fruit flavored fiber tablets were starting to look tasty.
I guess cutting sugar completely out of your diet will do that to a person. Or maybe just to this person.
But I have high hopes for this week. The fog is beginning to clear and it doesn’t feel like such a daily struggle. I know. I’ve still got 12 days to go. But I was so very relieved not to wake up with a headache this morning.
And yesterday was fantastic. I’ve never experienced a worship service, with a whole room full of folks who are also fasting and praying. It was a huge shot in the arm for me. And a reminder that when He asks a body of believers to do something, and they obey, the results can be positively miraculous.
Honestly, cannot wait to see all He accomplishes through these 21 days.
So, the final frontier for us, what we still are struggling with, is dinner.
We’re trying to avoid a lot of the super expensive fancy-pants stuff, so our options are somewhat limited. And no Trader Joe’s or Whole Foods nearby. Which, now that I think on it, might actually be a good thing.
We have had a few hits – black bean chili over brown rice, and organic refried beans, fresh salsa and homemade corn “chips”. But many, many more misses. Don’t even want to drag you down with the recipe flops we’ve had around here as of late. But that’s okay. If at first you don’t succeed….
You go out to Walmart again and scour the health-food section.
So please feel free to share any tips or treats or recipes that were a hit at your house. The split pea soup that is bubbling on my stove is not looking so great.
Here are a few of our favorite things over the last week:
* Been LOVING the Pur water pitcher we bought at the beginning of this. I am a confirmed water-hater, but this thing has made drinking water almost pleasant. And when water is all you can drink, that’s a pretty big deal.
* Triscuits, Triscuits and more Triscuits. We eat ’em with peanut butter, almond butter, soup, salads and just flat out plain.
* Mesa Sunrise. It’s a cereal that we found that seems to be free of everything we are to avoid – if not, please don’t tell me. And, although it takes pretty awful plain, it’s darn yummy with raisins and almond milk (just make sure yours in unsweetened), or in a trail mix.
* Speaking of trail mix, just take some mixed nuts, oats, raisins, sunflower seeds, unsweetened coconut, and the above cereal (or any that you can find) and combine. It makes a filling snack that is also great with almond milk.
* Veggie hits are avocado, spinach and tomatoes. And for cooking, lots and lots of garlic.
* Fruit hits are Cuties (mandarin oranges that are delicious and easy to peel!), apples, bananas, frozen blueberries and fresh pineapple. YUM!